Our History

Excerpt from The Recorder and Times, Saturday, January 19, 1929

Three Services, Arranged as Opening Tomorrow
Structure represents an outlay of $14,000 – Work started in September.


he dedication service of the new Pentecostal Tabernacle, situated at the corner of James and Buell streets, will be conducted to-morrow morning at 11 o’clock. Services of an especial nature have been arranged to mark the opening of the Tabernacle, which is a credit to the membership, the pastor Rev J.W. Davidson, and the community.

The speaker at the dedication service will be the Rev G. A. Chambers, of Kitchener, Moderator of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada, while at three o’clock in the afternoon a devotion service will be held, at which the speaker will be Rev A. E. Adams, of Gananoque, district superintendent, Mr. Chambers will speak at the evangelistic service to be held at 7.30 o’clock in the evening.

The fine new tabernacle is the outcome of a series of evangelistic services instituted in a tent at the corner of St Andrew and Water streets in the fall of 1926, by Rev. W. Raymond Watson, under the auspices of the Full Gospel Church. Mr. Davidson succeeded Mr. Watson here in June 1927, and since that time the meetings have been conducted in the Metropolitan block, then in the store which had been vacated by D. W. Downey, now occupied by Loblaw’s Groceteria, and more recently in the hall at 79 King street west.

The new tabernacle, which occupies a commanding site at Buell and James streets corner, is 75 by 34 feet, two storeys in height and represents an investment of approximately $14,000. The erection of the building was instituted in September last and delays totalling five weeks were experienced in securing some needed material.

The building is constructed of concrete, Milton rug brick, and steel. In the basement there is a large Sunday school auditorium which will seat 170 persons, while six classrooms, furnace room, toilets etc. are also laid out in the lower portion of the building.

The main auditorium in the upper, or second storey of the structure, is a comfortable and carefully designed place of worship. Hardwood floors have been laid throughout the building and seats for 350 have been placed in the main auditorium, which also has a large platform and choir loft as well as a baptismal font. The pastors study is also cozily located on this floor.

The lighting, carried out under the supervision of William Henry, makes the auditorium resplendent with adequate light in all portions and the furnishings include a grand piano which represents an outlay of some $900.

This is the second church which the present pastor has planned and supervised in erection. Mr. Davidson was aided in the erection of the Brockville tabernacle by Arthur Davison, of Toronto University, who executed the blue prints, and in the co-operation of each and every member of the tabernacle.

The heating is carried out by means of a forced air system, consisting of a No. 30 Kelsey warm air generator and No. 1500 Miles automatic fan, manufactured and supplied by the James Smart plant of the Canada Foundries and Forgings, Limited. The system is so arranged that it will heat the entire building, consisting of main auditorium, assembly room and classrooms, and controlling dampers have been so arranged that the heat may be cut off from any part of building as desired. Actual tests have proved that the system will work equally as well on a gravity basis, while in the summer time the system serves to ventilate the building.

The entire structure is finished simply, yet in striking manner and the decorative scheme carries out to a nicety the general comfortable appearance of the building.

Donald M Ross executed the contract for the erection of the tabernacle, a place of worship which the pastor and members have every reason to be proud of.

Explore Our History!